Sunday, September 12, 2010

Accomplishment #12:
Chicago Chocolate Cinnamon Cake

This has got to be my favorite cake in the whole entire world. I made it today for some good friends from church, who always bring yummy treats whenever they come to visit.

Chicago Chocolate Cinnamon Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter or margarine (I always bake with Imperial margarine -- never figured out butter)
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk (or, as a substitution, pour 1 1/2 tsp of vinegar into a 1/2 cup, then fill to the brim with milk and let sit for 5 minutes before using)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour and sugar in large bowl. Bring 1 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, and water to boil in a saucepan. Pour over flour mixture and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a greased 9"x13" pan, and bake at 350 F for 30 - 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Chocolate Cinnamon Frosting

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
6 tablespoons milk (that's 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons, if you're a lazy cook like me)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
cinnamon to taste

Bring 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat, and add powdered sugar gradually, mixing until of spreading consistency. Add cinnamon, if desired. (At this point, I usually pour the frosting into my Bosch and beat it with the wire whips to work out any powdered sugar lumps). Pour warm frosting over cake. Eat. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I am just now finding this post, along with the one about Visas. This cake is to die for yummy, so I'm glad to have the recipe. Let me know if you need any other recipes that I can get my hands on. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete