Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Accomplishment #1: Creating a Blog

I created this blog to chronicle my daily accomplishments, as modest as they may be.

Here's my inspiration . . . . a scene from my favorite movie, Pride and Prejudice.


Mr. Bingley: Well, I think it's amazing that you young ladies have the patience to be so accomplished.
Miss Bingley: What do you mean, Charles?
Mr. Bingley: You all paint tables, and play the piano, and embroider cushions! I never heard of lady but people say she is accomplished.
Mr. Darcy: Indeed, the word is applied too liberally. I cannot boast of knowing more than half a dozen women in all my acquaintance who are truly accomplished.
Elizabeth Bennet: My goodness, you must comprehend a great deal in the idea.
Miss Bingley: Indeed; she must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and all the modern languages to deserve the word. And something about her air, and manner of walking....
Mr. Darcy: [glanced at the book in Lizzy's hands] And, of course, she must improve her mind with extensive reading.
Elizabeth Bennet: [closes the book she had been reading] I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women, I now wonder at your knowing any.
Mr. Darcy: Are you so severe on your own sex?
Elizabeth Bennet: I never saw such a woman. Surely she would be a fearsome thing to behold.
[Mr. Bingley chuckles]
Caroline Bingley: Miss Elizabeth, let us take a turn about the room.

[Caroline takes Lizzy's arm in hers, and they walk gracefully in a circle around the room]

Caroline Bingley: It's refreshing, is it not after sitting so long in one attitude?
Elizabeth Bennet: And it is a small kind of accomplishment, I suppose.
I couldn't find the exact movie clip on YouTube -- but this is definitely worth watching.

And here's the movie trailer . . . .



Even more fun . . . Pride & Prejudice, Harry Potter style.



What houses do you think Elizabeth, Jane, Darcy, and Bingley would belong to if they inhabited in the wizarding world?

3 comments:

  1. Do I have your permission to repost?
    This is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth -- Cross between Ravenclaw & Gryffndor
    Darcy -- an arrogant Ravenclaw, no doubt, maybe even Slytherin?
    Jane and Bingley I place squarely in Hufflepuff
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri -- I completely agree with your house assessments, though I don't like the idea of Darcy in Slytherin, just because I like him so much. Though I *can* see how he would fit there . . . .

    Go ahead and repost! I'm flattered. :)

    ReplyDelete